Friday, December 28, 2012

Introduction

As a new father for the second time now, we were the first of our group of friends to have a baby. Now with our second baby here, there is a gravitational pull for families to bond and new friendship emerge through child birth. I have been encouraged by some to put together my experiences, advice and tips for new and expectant fathers.

As the patriarch of the family and the 10 months preceding the birth, the fathers take a back seat to the child bearer and the unborn for obvious reasons. Little attention is paid to the father during this time or his thoughts, concerns and wants are address only before the family dog. Unfortunately this decline in the social/familia pecking order continues after the birth as the needs of others are met. A noble and chivalrous act that is paid back in full by a lovely pair of socks gifted on Fathers Day.

I guess I am your average Vancouverite. Mid 30s, mortgage, a wife, 2 kids (girl and boy), I have a great love of the outdoors snowboarding, hiking, camping, running, biking and of course I am born elsewhere.

The content of my blog is directed at 1st time/expecting fathers and the views and experiences are that of my own. I am not a medical professional though am married to one, I don't pretend to know everything about the birthing process, child rearing or parenting. What I write about are my experiences and what has worked for me. The choices you make will depend on options available to you, your circumstances, finances, practicality, but most of all what WILL work for you and your family.

I am sure you have had friends/family/co-workers that offer you unsolicited advice and that have told you exactly what you must do with your child as that's what they did. There is nothing worse! I hate these people. Everyones experiences WILL be different, pregnancies, deliveries, eating and sleeping patterns and etc, will all differ to others and even between your kids.

I intend to give weekly updates of the growth and development of my new baby boy as well as touch on some topics so hopefully I can give you some insight, tips and ideas as to what you can do or expect when rearing you child, with a little humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment